- Make sure to follow all traffic laws.
- The coastal highway is very good and comparable to a freeway in the US.
- Most highways and roads are fine, but the local streets in some areas can be bumpy!
- Parking at most villas/condos is available on the street. Simply lock the doors
- Always use a seatbelt.
- Slow down; you are on vacation and there's no need to rush.
- Do not drink and drive!
- Taxis, buses and trucks drive aggressively; let them pass
- If someone is trying to pass you, pull over to the right if possible.
- Some important guidelines on making lefthand turns:
- Be careful with left hand turn signals. If a car in front of you turns on its left hand turn signal, it could mean that it is safe for you to pass.
- If you plan to make a left hand turn off of the highway, turn on your left hand blinker to signal the cars to pass you (or, turn on your hazard lights). Ten carefully check the right hand lane for bicycles or pedestrians and then move onto the right hand shoulder. When it is safe, make your turn.
Return to top
Taxis are an option, but they can be expensive. If you are staying in an out-of-the-way location, rental cars are highly recommended. Most towns and tourist areas have clusters of taxis available to transport you to restaurants, shopping, beaches, etc. Make sure you ask the price before you jump in so there are no surprises. Taxi from Akumal to Playa del Carmen is about $30.
Travel Services of Akumal (TSA) in Akumal offers service. To make a reservation contact them at 984-875-9030 or email@example.com
Mexico has an excellent bus system between larger towns (Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Tulum, Chetumal, etc.). Rates are inexpensive and buses comfortable with air conditioning, restroom and movies for trips over an hour. These first class buses normally are non-stop to your ticketed destination. Even more economical are 2nd and 3rd class buses, but expect many stops and be prepared to walk from the highway to your final destination (smaller towns/areas such as Akumal and beach areas).
Mayab bus stations are located in Tulum, Playa del Carmen and Cancun and run from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m.
There is also a bus line between the airport in Cancun to Playa del Carmen. Cost is approximately 65 pesos ($6.50 USD).
Here's a schedule (subject to change):
Playa del Carmen to Cancun Airport: 8:00 a.m., 9:00 a.m., 10 a.m., 11 a.m., 12 p.m., 1 p.m., 2 p.m., 3 p.m., 4 p.m., 5 p.m., 6:15 p.m.
Cancun Airport to Playa del Carmen: 9:30 a.m., 10:30 a.m., 11:45 a.m., 12:45 p.m., 1:45 p.m., 2:45 p.m., 3:45 p.m., 4:45 p.m., 5:45 p.m, 7 p.m., 8:30 p.m.
These white vans shuttle passengers up and down the highway. They are very inexpensive but crowded so they are very cozy (luckily, most have AC). Wave your arms to flag one down; they pass by every 5 to 10 minutes. These 10-14 seat vans offer shuttles from Playa del Carmen and Tulum and all points between, from 7 a.m. until 9 p.m. Cost from Akumal to Playa is $2 USD. Again, expect to walk from the highway.
It is very easy to go to Cozumel from the mainland. An excellent, and quite reliable, ferry service has been in place for a number of years. Ferry takes about 35 minutes to cross between Cozumel and Playa del Carmen; roundtrip tickets are about $18. Ferry service begins early in the morning and continues late into the evening. See schedule below for reference; pick up a current schedule at the pier as it can change. Take a day trip to the island for world class scuba diving, snorkeling or poking around. NOTE: There are 2 separate ferry companies with service to Cozumel (both depart from the same pier).
*********Try this link for a current schedule: http://www.mexicowaterjets.com/eng/servicios.php?id=HR
GOLF CART RENTAL
Travel Services of Akumal (TSA) in Akumal offers golf cart rentals for $40 US per day or $275 per week. To make a reservation contact them at 984-875-9030 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Travel Services of Akumal (TSA) in Akumal offers bicycle rentals for $8 US per day, $21 for 3 days, $30 f or 5 days and $39 for 7 days. To make a reservation contact them at 984-875-9030 or email@example.com